Practice Legacy Identifiers
Legacy Identifiers are any number or code assigned to a provider or practice that can be used to identify them beyond their NPI, Tax ID, and Taxonomy code. Typically these are TPI, UPIN, or License numbers, but some carriers use this field in lieu of the CMS defined Taxonomy location as well. Any information listed in the Legacy Identifier field will appear in box 33b on the standard HICFA claim form.
- Go to File -> Practice Information
- In the Practice IDs tab you will find a list of rules for submitting group claims. Any claim marked to "File As" a group must use the most specific rule on this list
- To add a Legacy Identifier, select the rule associated with the provider/carrier combo you wish to send the new information to and click Edit. If no rule exists, click the New button to create a new rule
- On the "Edit Practice ID" screen, select the radio button next to "Legacy Identifier 1" (note that New rules will need the practice's NPI, Tax ID, and Taxonomy Code filled in as well)
- Enter the Legacy Number you wish to appear in box 33B in the box to the right
- Once you have filled in the identifier, select a qualifier from the drop-down box to the right
If you are not sure which Legacy Qualifier to use, select the one which best describes the number you have entered in the Legacy Identifier box. You can also select qualifier "G2 - Provider Commercial Number" for a generic identifiers. Note that you can also enter a 2 character qualifier of your own if the one you are looking for is not on the list.